Saturday, September 5, 2009

First Ride new bit

Well I went out yesterday and tried the new bit on Dolly, she has such a little nose. It is fit for our little arab HighDive but it was still to big for Dolly. The bit worked great, just need a little tighter on the nose band and it will be all set. I tend to add new bits and ride bareback, I feel that this gives me a complete understanding on how it is working. First I lunge the horse and watch out they react, then I get on. I feel that with extra tack you risk something else bugging them and not getting a complete view on how they like the bit. Dolly is a very rounded horse, and if I do it right will have a headstall and bit for each level event she works. I got my combo bit on my nylon orange headstall which is her colors. Then I got my snaffle on my nice leather headstall, it will be transitioned over to curb once I get her teeth floated and a new curb for her. I plan on a different headstall for the snaffle. Of course if she goes english that will be a complete different set up. And for trails I use her bitless bridle or a halter for her.

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment